Monday, October 3, 2011

This Cowboy Promises Big Laughs and Has a Heart of Gold...

Comedian Cowboy Bill Martin has built a loyal following of fans from coast to coast the old fashioned way – by working the road.   The Texas native headlines all of the most prestigious clubs and theaters across the U.S. and Canada.  Martin has also toured with country music’s elite including George Strait, legendary singer, George Jones on an 18 city tour of Canada and was part of the CMT Most Wanted Live Tour with Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts and Chris Cagle.

Plus, the screenwriter/comedian just got back, not too long ago, from headlining a tour in the Middle East for our Armed Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan on the Red, White and a little Bluer Tour.  In addition, he dedicates one show a week to the Susan G. Koman Foundation for Breast Cancer Awareness. 

But don’t let the name fool you.  Critic Punch Shaw of The Fort Worth Star Telegram says, "Martin is not your typical country-cowboy comic. There’s no talk about trailer parks or inbreeding. Sure he wears cowboy garb on stage and he speaks with a Texas accent but his comedy touches people of all cultures.  In performance, he’s apt to remind you of Gary Busey with an edge. That is especially applicable, when Martin flashes a toothy grin and gives a gee-whiz shrug of his broad shoulders."


When asked if he is a real cowboy, Martin said, “The only word I don’t like being called is a redneck and I will tell you why.  I was probably 9 years old and I came home crying.  I said, ‘daddy they were calling me a redneck at school.’  He said, ‘boy, you are a cowboy’.   I said, ‘what’s the difference?’  He said, ‘acreage!’”

Martin says while his humor is based on real life, he tries not to take himself too seriously.  But admits there are two spots in the show that he puts comedy aside for a brief moment and that is first, his dedication with his clothing provider, Ariat Western Wear to promote his Pink Out Cowboy Program for Breast Cancer Awareness and the Susan G. Koman Fund.  And second, for his support for our Armed Forces.

In nearly every performance; Martin toasts to the military. And although he has never served, Martin says he does so, not for a cheap applause break but because of a special Military coin that he carries in his right pocket on stage for every show.

Martin explains, "I was doing a show in Oklahoma City a couple of years ago and this kid, I say kid because he couldn't have been more than 22 years old, walks up to me and says, 'Hey Man, I want to give you something.'   And then he says to me, 'A buddy of mine and I went to elementary, middle school and high school together. We enlisted in the Marine Corp. on the same day, went to boot camp together and then got sent to Iraq together on the “Buddy Program.  And then he looked at me and said, ‘and I wanted you to know that he was killed 3 months ago and I haven't laughed since…until tonight, here at your show.' And then he handed me a gold recruiting Sergeant Majors coin and said, 'and I want to give you this recruiting coin because you gave me back the laughter."

And ever since then, Martin does not hit the stage without it.  Martin adds, "I want people to come to the show and have a great time.  Heck, I want them to laugh so hard they pee a little.  But in the end, that coin reminds me that no matter what life throws at you, laughter is still the key.”


APPEARING AT THE STARDOME
ON OCTOBER 11-16, 2011
BUY TICKETS ONLINE HERE!!


No comments:

Post a Comment